2009 Emergency Nonprofit Matching Fund for Core Support
Purpose: The Foundation has established a special fund to help address the emergency financial needs that have arisen for some of our grantees as a result of the current economic downturn. In keeping with our mission to improve the quality of life on Staten Island, particularly for those least-advantaged, we will make grants to Staten Island non-profits in order to assist them in providing services to residents of Staten Island. This program will provide 2 to 1 matching funds to nonprofit organizations, as described below.
Eligibility: To be eligible, an organization must meet all three of the following criteria:
- Received a grant from the Foundation of $5,000 or more during the last four years
- Experienced or will experience a decrease in income from public or private sources attributable to the recent economic downturn
- 100% of Board members have made or will make a financial contribution to the organization during the current fiscal year
The Foundation will select approximately 30 organizations to participate in our funding areas of health and human service, arts and culture, and civic and community. Organizations with currently active grants should check with the Foundation staff regarding eligibility.
Terms: The Foundation will provide matching funds under the following terms:
- The Foundation will match funds received by an organization for this program from the date it is selected for participation until June 15, 2010.
- Organizations will be eligible for up to $25,000 in matching funds, on a 2-1 basis. (i.e. the Foundation will provide $2 for each $1 raised by the organization. To receive the maximum grant at least $12,500 must be raised.)
- New or increased gifts from individuals, foundations, or corporations must be specifically earmarked for this program by the donor.
- Organizations will be required to submit written documentation of contributions received for this program.
Additional revenue-generating ideas such as income from government stimulus programs, membership drives, earned incomes strategies, or events should be discussed with Foundation staff.
Application Preparation: The Foundation has made the application for the 2009 Emergency Nonprofit Matching Fund for Core Support available on our website and it must be completed online. Instructions to complete the application online are provided. Organizations that can not complete the application online should contact Foundation staff.
One of the required attachments for the application asks organizations about their financial situation as a result of the economic downturn. It may be completed as a word document and attached to the application.
The Foundation anticipates that Emergency Nonprofit Matching funds will be used by organizations in order to assist in maintaining those core programs and services that are important to the quality of life on Staten Island. For this reason, organizations are asked to tell us about the targets they set for their core programs and services and the data they collect in order to assess their progress toward reaching those targets.