The Staten Island Foundation’s Hurricane Sandy Nonprofit Recovery Fund
For over 15 years, The Staten Island Foundation has been working to improve the quality of life on Staten Island. We have developed deep ties, knowledge and real relationships across Staten Island. We partner with the local community, nonprofit, public and private sectors to help ensure this vibrant, diverse community – especially the least advantaged – has access to the resources necessary to maximize its potential. With a results orientation, we view our grants as investments in change – the measure of changed lives for a better community.
In response to the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, we have created a special fund, THE STATEN ISLAND FOUNDATION NONPROFIT RECOVERY FUND. The Staten Island Foundation will match the first $500,000 from other philanthropic sources to this fund. Our funders to date include:
- American Red Cross
- The Clark Foundation
- The Frank E. Clark Charitable Trust
- Doherty Family Fund
- Mary J. Hutchins Foundation
- IDB Bank
- Newman’s Own Foundation
- New York State Health Foundation
- Jessie Smith Noyes Foundation
- Rockefeller Brothers Fund
- Taconic Foundation
- United Way of New York City
Grants will be awarded to nonprofits serving Staten Island to address immediate relief needs, and to help build the long-term recovery, collaborative capacity and resilience of Staten Island nonprofits.
Examples of immediate relief assistance we may provide include:
- Unreimbursed repairs to nonprofit facilities and grounds
- Supplemental funding for documented decreased fundraising/cost of business interruption
Going forward, the Foundation will focus on longer-term recovery, capacity and resilience assistance. Examples of assistance we may provide include:
- Providing direct and immediate support for the longer term post-disaster needs of nonprofit organizations serving Staten Island and its residents
- Fostering cross-sector engagement for community-wide impact
- Innovative ideas for service provision and collaboration
- Efforts to improve disaster preparedness
To learn more about what The Staten Island Foundation Nonprofit Recovery Fund has done, click here.
How to Get Involved: Foundations and other potential donors who wish to learn more about The Staten Island Foundation’s Nonprofit Recovery Fund and discuss their potential involvement, may contact Executive Director Betsy Dubovsky at Dubovsky@thestatenislandfoundation.org or call (718) 697-2831.